Like the seated shoulder press using a machine, this exercise primarily works the deltoids, but it also brings the surrounding muscles into play.
Working all the shoulder muscles simultaneously helps to prevent injuries caused by muscle imbalances.
- Sit on the bench with your toes pointing forward, back straight and your abs tight.
- Grip the barbell in an overhand grip (palms facing away from your body).
- Keep your hands about shoulder width apart.
- he bar should be in line with your chin.
- Press the barbell upward by extending your arms.
- Pause briefly at the top then lower the barbell in a slow, controlled manner into its original position.
- You should not do this exercise if you are experiencing any shoulder pain.
- Be careful not to hyper extend your back. If you can’t do this exercise without leaning back, then use a lighter weight.
- This exercise can also be done with dumbbells.